Friday, March 2, 2012

Diary of an MUA: DC to NYC...Here I come BET!


I look a mess, my excuse?  this was like the 8th or 9th hour!  LOL  One of my models using that good OCC lip tar!
Makeup - Shana Janelle using Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics | www.shanajanelle.com


Thank you to everyone for all the congratulations and well wishes it really means a lot.  I think I have said this before but I don't share whats going on to brag or boast.  If it were up to me I probably wouldn't say much at all and that is because sometimes people really are not happy for you...I wont get into that in this post but I WILL address it.

Those that are happy for me always ask for details about the things that I have done or will be doing and they want a play by play (looking at you Kesh!) and that is why I continue to blog, as sucky as I have been at it lately, because they want to know what I am doing and I love them for it.

That said, this past Wednesday I had the opportunity to work with the team of artists for BET's Rip the Runway.  I had a shoot the night before and as soon as I was done I hopped a Greyhound bus at 1:40a headed to NYC for my 8a call time.  Yes I was super sleepy but with Starbucks in hand and adrenaline pumping through my veins I was all set to go.

I arrived at the Hammerstein Ballroom at approximately 7:15a after walking from Port Authority thinking I was gonna be early and get to set up and chill, you know just take in my surroundings, snap a few behind the scenes pics of my area like I did with Fashion Week...not so.  Security stopped all of that.  Kindly told me I could wait outside until 8a.  Ok great.  Thankfully I was able to get to know one of my fellow artists for the day, Aaron and chat it up for the good 45 minutes we had to wait, well for him it was more like a full hour.

The rest of the team made their way and I can honestly say that everyone was super cool.  I have been blessed in that I have not met too many people in my journey who were stuck up *knocks on wood*.  There is always minor shade present but the good definitely outweighs the bad.  I impart the mindset of listening more than I talk when on set so that seems to work best.

Unfortunately, because the show doesn't air until March 21st at 10p I cant speak on much BUT little birdies on the internet have already leaked a good portion of the show so you didn't hear it from me but if you seek it, it will come. *smile*

Suffice it to say that pretty much everyone you may hear or see that was there, yes I did see them, pretty much face to face with all of them.  For a lot of the backstage taping I was there trying to run from the camera so if you look hard enough you will probably catch a glimpse of me zipping by to do touch-ups.

I did a LOT of touch-ups prior to the models hitting the runway but before I got whisked away to do that I worked with a few models who were absolutely beautiful physically and spiritually.  I believe one of them opens one of the scenes...again I cant say what scene BUT once it airs and I come across official pics I will either update this post or do a part two.

I had a blast and after we wrapped headed to my staple, Dallas BBQs, this time in Times Square (no crowds on Wednesday night hooray!) and had my fav fried shrimp and a pina colada (no extra shot or texas sized this time, I was too tired to add to it) with my new found friends Aaron and Lillybeth.  We did take a picture at the beginning of the day with most of the team and in my haste to clean up I didnt get the card of the artist who took the pic with her camera :(.  I hope to track her down for that.

After our 13 hour day and late dinner I made my way back to Port Authority to wait for Megabus to whisk me back to DC safe and sound and on Thursday I slept like a ROCK!  In fact I am still kinda catching up on sleep but it was so worth it and yes I would do it again.

I leave you with some images from my shoot from the night prior to my BET adventure.  I did makeup and hair for this one.

Thanks for reading!  :)

Makeup & Hair - Shana Janelle | www.shanajanelle.com

Makeup & Hair - Shana Janelle | www.shanajanelle.com

Makeup & Hair - Shana Janelle | www.shanajanelle.com
Photographer - Michael Woodward @ Studio 400


one of the final images, straight from the camera, photo editing free!
Makeup & Hair - Shana Janelle | www.shanajanelle.com

6 comments:

  1. omg!!! BET RIP the Runway! That is sooo amazing! I am so proud of you and your journey as a MUA is so inspiring! keep breaking barriers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Shana! I am so happy for you! I have been reading your posts. It is wonderful to be able to pursue your dreams. Definitely inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks great, but i love the hair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kia. Thats that good curling wand! I love them

      Delete

Blog Archive