Thursday, June 3, 2010

What makes you think you can call yourself a makeup artist?!

While perusing Facebook the other week I came across a status update that I thought would make a great discussion...

A comment was made that one cannot call themselves a makeup artist simply because they put a feather on someone's face or something to that effect.  Implying that there is now an influx of pseudo artists out here now and that everyone doesnt deserve that title.  The comment was then followed by a myriad of replies touting their certifications, experience and the like.  I felt some kind of way about it and here is why...

Someone made the comment that you had to have gone to school for aesthetics and/or makeup artistry before you can call yourself a makeup artist and that they were upset that the licensing has since been done away with in some states, DC and Maryland included.  *PUMP THE BRAKES* Just about every well known makeup artist that I have had the pleasure of training with or listening to at a seminar, etc. has said that he/she did NOT have a license in anything, nor did they have any formal training.  That their "school" was practice and/or experience on real women at the makeup counter or they kinda fell into it some way or another. 

One who has done research of any sort should be aware that the makeup school is a modern thing.  Even the makeup section taught in cosmetology school wasnt an extensive course at one point, it was merely a chapter, if that, in a thick course curriculum where basics were taught.  Furthermore, those that do attend some makeup schools have said that they just learned basics and that the real experience came outside of the school and from reading additional books/watching videos purchased on their own.

What do you think?  Is there room for all in this industry or should certification be reinstated and demanded before jobs are dispersed?  Do you have a license?  If so, was school worth it for you or could you have reached your level of success without it?

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I am in the process of practicing and enhancing my skills to become a freelance makeup artist. I do not have a license but eventually plan to go to cosmetology school, not for makeup but because I do hair as well and would like to be licensed in that arena. I feel if you have skills you have skills and you do not need a certificate to tell you that. As long as you know what you are doing and not putting your customers in harms way, I say do your thang!

    Come check out my blog hon...
    www.theglamorousgleam.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a great question!!
    See, I attended a pannel on professional development at the make up show and this question was also asked. All of the MUA had no "formal" training and said that when they started 15-20 years ago, there wasn't any make up school or like you said you spend a week.
    They learned through practice and by assisting other MUA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat McGrath is self-taught. I did a course, what I learned was mininal compared to what I already knew. Tough subject though, because there are alot of people calling themselves makeup artists when they've only done their own makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mz. More - I feel the same way. I definitely think you should take courses and read and participate in continuing education but specifically going to a "makeup school" isnt for everyone - not every successful business person went to college and that didnt stop them. Thanks for commenting and I will def check out your blog!

    @Amina - hey hon! Exactly, Sam Fine, Billy B, etc. they all said the same thing

    @Georgia - Oh I def get that, but you know what? That will come to light. If you are indeed an MUA your work will speak volumes. Those that are not, same thing. I take each and every course that I am able to. I travel for the trade shows, etc. but to each his/her own. As I said, its not for everyone. That particular thread on FB was just a bit much. Thanks for stopping by! That flat top foundation brush on your blog is to die for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm self taught as well. I used to think that I wouldn't be considered professional until I was certified. But I haven't had the chance to do that yet. In the mean time I;ve been buidling my portfolio and learning on my own. That's what really matters. For those who've had the pleasure of learning in a classroom then that's their route but their's more than one route to success. And in my opinion, NOTHING beats experience no matter what field your in. =)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive