Monday, August 15, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 28


Day 28 – Your favorite movie.
For as long as I can remember I have had a love affair with old hollywood.  When Blockbuster was thriving (dont laugh) I would go get my snacks from Giant and a stack of old black and white movies and I would hole up in my room and watch them all day long, sometimes all weekend.  Of course this was before I became a mom and now I would be lucky to get an hour of alone time, forget about a whole day!  This was probably around the time that I was 18 or 19 years old so I find it hard to narrow down to just one favorite movie.  I will instead share a few of my favs and why I love them in no particular order...

Alistair Sim's A Christmas Carol - this movie is one that has a sentimental meaning for me.  Almost every Christmas Eve my maternal grandmother would break out the VHS of this movie for us to watch.  Back then I thought they talked funny but I was still pulled all the way in to the film.  I can appreciate the elaborate dialogue as well as the fanciful costumes.  This movie was recently done as an animated remake with Jim Carrey as the lead and I need to watch it in its entirety because a lot of the elements from the original were there.

Dark Victory - Bette Davis is one of my most fav actresses.  She always played the gutsy, take charge heroine who tolerated no BS...EXCEPT in this film.  Now dont get me wrong, initially she is that quintessential Ms. Davis that we all know but you begin to see her vulnerability as the movie progresses.  She becomes more human.

All About Eve - again Bette Davis but THIS is classic Bette Davis right here.  Hate it or love it she battles all the way to the end even when she is absolutely wrong for her antics. 

Imitation of Life - This image is the one with Lana Turner, there are two versions of this movie and surprisingly I enjoy both, but this one I think may be my fav only by a tiny bit.  I felt the emotion come through much more in this version.

Mahogany - one of my earliest memories of amazing fashion and beauty.  This movie never gets old and each time I am near a tv and its on I am immediately transfixed.

Rear Window - In my eyes Alfred Hitchcock can do no wrong.  Do yourself a favor and watch some of his old movies, especially the black and white ones, they will not disappoint.  You still get elements of old hollywood glam but with clever little inserts of humor and unexpected twists and turns.  His movies for me are the equivalent of a cinematic roller coaster ride that keep me thinking and on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Breakfast at Tiffanys - I mean what can I say that I am sure has already been said about this iconic movie and actress.  I adore Audrey Hepburn and while I havent seen ALL of her movies, I have seen most of them.  It never gets old.

So thats it, hope you enjoyed and better still I hope you, if you havent already, take the time to check out these films.  You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive