Monday, December 28, 2009

Diary of an MUA - The 2009 Golden Scissors Awards

A few weeks ago I was given the opportunity to participate in the 2009 Golden Scissors Awards.  The hairstylist and I met at a shoot a few weeks prior so she contacted me after and asked if I could do the makeup.  I try not to turn down too many opportunities so I gladly accepted.  Well as my fellow beauty professionals are aware sometimes things dont always pan out as one would hope, and this experience was no exception.  Our model cancelled the day before the show so we had to scramble to find a replacement.  Thankfully it worked out that the stylist was able to find someone last minute.  These shots were taken with my blackberry so again please excuse the quality...


Here I am in action



Another action shot with a view of the model's hair for the show




Not the best shot of the model but I was trying to capture the lip look




Here you can see the eye look a bit better

Even though the show was a tribute to Michael Jackson I chose to base the look off of Kabuki Theatre.  I paid homage to the King of Pop by using the model's lips to mimick his signature glove.  I used 3 different glitters to add a 3D look that of course my Blackberry camera isnt picking up that well. 

In the end the hairstylist didnt win, but not because of a lack of talent.  I wont divulge all of the sordid details but I will say that when it comes to your craft, whatever it is, you should NEVER try to take the easy route.  In this business getting your work seen by people who could catapult your career to new heights is a costly endeavor and sometimes you have to bite the bullet and come up off that money.  I NEVER pinch pennies when it comes to building my book and resume and I think that is part of the reason why I have had the chance to do some of the things I have done thus far.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed!  Until next time...

2 comments:

Blog Archive