Again brought to us by The Powder Group and none other than Make Up For Ever! If you are a TPG Pro member you get a VIP gift bag. See below for details from The Artist Labs site:
PHOTOSHOOT, PORTFOLIO, AND AGENCY TALK WITH DAVEN MAYEDA AND VICTORIA STILES
Agency represented Los Angeles based Celebrity Hairstylist Daven Mayeda and Washington, D.C. based agency represented Makeup Artist Victoria Stiles form a dynamic education team to give you an exclusive backstage look to the industry and secrets for a successful career in hair and makeup artistry. In this one-day class, Daven Mayeda will discuss on-set secrets and unseen aspects of the beauty industry while Victoria Stiles will share her industry secrets and tips to branding your artistry and getting you noticed. Collectively, Mayeda and Stiles will give you a behind the scenes look to working in editorial, with high profile clients, and an insider’s look at working with an agency as well as an exclusive talk on how you can gain representation.
Daven Mayeda is represented by Celestine Agency in Los Angeles. He has worked on celebrities including Mariah Carey and Adele.
Victoria Stiles is represented by Kess Agency in New York. Her client list includes Vice President Joe Biden, Jenna and Barbara Bush, Robyn, Melody Gardot and Roberta Flack. Editorial clients include Conde Nast, Hearst, Niche Media, and TIME Inc.
A note from our presenters Daven Mayeda and Victoria Stiles-
“We are extremely excited to meet all of you! Knowledge is something that should never be kept secret. We encourage all of you to take your career to the next level and are thrilled to give you the knowledge and tools to do so! If you are currently working in the industry and would like pro-to-pro advice with a Agency Represented artists, The Artist Labs classes are for you!”
WORKING IN THE INDUSTRY
PHOTOSHOOT, PORTFOLIO, AND AGENCY TALK WITH DAVEN MAYEDA AND VICTORIA STILESAUGUST 28TH, 2011
LEIPER STILES STUDIOS
Located 5 minutes from Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)
22960 SHAW ROAD
STERLING, VA 20166
EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DISCUSSION WILL INCLUDE:
9 AM – 12 PM
- Taking your test to the next level
- How to book your models, how to choose your models.
- How to make your test portfolio-worthy
- Finding a focus and identifying the direction for your shoot
- Understanding your role and requirements for the shoot
- How to effectively communicate with members of the crew pre-production regarding direction for the shoot
- Techniques in creating a storyboard for a multi-page shoot
- How to tailor your kit and tools to fit the needs of the shoot
- Dealing with different personalities on set
- Creating balance between all parties involved
- Importance of time management and how to gauge time to complete each shot
- Set etiquette, wrapping the shoot, and communication with the crew post-production
- Choosing and selecting images for your portfolio.
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM LUNCH BREAK
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Working in the Industry
- How to take your experience from a test to a working job.
- Identifying the main differences between testing and a client booking
- Receiving direction and working with art directors and/or photographers,
- Understanding eras and key references
- Communicating with your crew during the shoot
- Dos and Don’ts; set etiquette for a client booking
- Troubleshooting difficult situations I.E. Difficult or unsatisfied clients, inability to continue shoot etc.
- Wrapping the shoot, importance of following up with your client and keeping communication open post-production
- How to properly juggle your schedule and troubleshooting double bookings
- Creating a client contact list: When its okay to obtain contact information and ways of keeping your client informed on your latest work
- Invoicing your client
- Industry standard marketing materials: website, print book, business cards among other important marketing materials every creative should have
- Appropriate times to obtain sponsorship from a hair or cosmetic line and ways of landing a product and/or monetary sponsorship from a company
- Social Media chat – free ways to promote your work
4:30PM – 6:00PM
- You will receive a comprehensive print out listing artist representatives in North America
- Portfolios: Industry standard books and how to create both a print and digital book
- Which images to put in your book
- Contacting agencies and ways of how to get your foot in the door
- Working with an agency and standard requirements an agency expects of their represented artists
- Optional portfolio review from Daven Mayeda and Victoria Stiles