Monday, March 30, 2009

Women's History Month Challenge!



Fellow Beauty Bloggers Gangstarr Girl and Clumps of Mascara put the call out to do a beauty challenge based on Women's History Month and I accepted. This challenge combined two things that I enjoy - all things makeup, of course, and empowering women through knowledge. For my entry I chose to honor the incomperable Josephine Baker.


Josephine Baker is best known as the lady with the banana skirt but she was so much more! Allow me to expand:


  • 1st African American female to star in a major motion picture




  • 1st African American female to integrate an American concert hall




  • 1st African American female to become a world-famous entertainer




  • 1st American born woman to receive the Croixe de Guerre, the highest French Military honor

Among her firsts she also fought the good fight for a number of causes including the Civil Rights Movement, and World War II in which she assisted the French Resistance. She was indeed a bad chick, no?


For going against the grain and forging your own path despite challenges and naysayers, Ms. Baker, I salute you!





My interpretation:



The photo that was my REAL inspiration has a bit of nudity so I didnt post that one, but her look was very consistent; a smokey dark rimmed eye and a deep, dark lip. Here is what I used:

FACE: MUFE HD Foundation #177

EYES: MAC Engraved, MAC Carbon, Maybelline Lash Stylist, MAC Chestnut (brows - redrawn after I concealed my natural brow)

LIPS: MAC Cyber (which is coming out very light in this pic for some reason)

Visit the pages of the other bloggers participating in this challenge:

3 comments:

  1. LMAO @ the nudity. I love you for that one. Thanks so much for participating! I am lovin' the berry lip and head piece. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Gorgeous!!!! I'm loving that hat! ho!t hot! hot !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Josephine Baker. Not many women in her field have my respect, but she has mine completely. In addition to all that stuff she did, she bought a chateau in France and adopted children from all over the world and called them her 'Rainbow Tribe'. I love that. The world's first Brangelina.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive